**Please follow your local guidelines for protecting yourself from Covid-19 during adoption hand offs. Please be respectful of each other.**
Welcome to the Land Hermit Crab Owners Society hermit crab adoption program!
Our adoption program is open worldwide and we don’t exclude anyone simply for not being part of our Facebook group or a member of the Land Hermit Crab Owners Society. However, we do encourage you to join so you have access to our care information and guidelines. We will also be able to assist you in an emergency.
Land Hermit Crab Owners Society FB Group
Placing hermit crabs for adoption:
Please be advised that the LHCOS Adoption program does not have the resources to assist with large quantity ‘rescues’.
Fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/LstZ4tDDFWDpKcTk2
We will do our best to find an adopter close to you but there is no guarantee.
Please note we require the adoption to be free.
We are adopters not buyers. If you are attempting to sell your hermit crabs, this is not the place for that.
If you want money for your supplies that should be stated up front and agreed upon prior to arranging pick up. The adopter is not obligated to buy your supplies.
If you fail to follow through on pick up or delivery more than once you may be banned from the program. Wasting someone’s time is not cool and will not be tolerated.
If possible, please email us a clear photo of the hermit crab(s) to be adopted. This will be used on social media to help find adopters. Send to: he*****************@gm***.com with your name.
***DO NOT JUST EMAIL PICS – THE FORM MUST BE FILLED OUT***
To become a forever home adopter, a temporary foster home or a transport assistant for adoptions/rescues:
If your crabitat meets our minimum care requirements fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/Vk1B4Pt6mPkSu2f23
You will be asked to send a current photo of the crabitat where the adoptees will be living. If you are planning to use the Hermit Crab Post Purchase Death Reduction Method the adoption team will still need to see the primary crabitat set up and ready for hermit crabs in order to approve your application. We encourage you to keep a smaller tank or bin for the PPDRM and work on getting the primary crabitat ready and stable while your hermit crabs are adjusting. We can not approve you based on your PPRDM enclosure.
If you meet our minimum standards, a team member will email you to begin processing your application and ask any follow up questions. Communication is best done via email so that all team members are aware of all conversations. If a team member is sick or out of town and you are attempting to message them on FaceBook you are not likely to get a response.
If you do not meet our minimum care requirements, your application will be declined. If you correct the issues, apply again and supply a new photo.
Our minimum requirements:
- A glass tank with a lid that holds in humidity.
- A 20 gallon tank is the minimum size for adopters. This can house 2-3 SMALL hermit crabs.
- Totes may be used as TEMPORARY housing but we will not approve adopters who use totes as their permanent housing.
- A heat pad placed on the back of the tank.
- Thermometer and hygrometer
- Consistent temperature between 75F-85F
- Consistent humidity between 70%-80%
- Substrate that is 5 parts playsand to 1 part coco pith (eco earth) at a minimum of 6 inches deep or 3 times as deep as your largest crab is tall, whichever is deeper.
- Fresh water and Ocean water (made with Marine salt), treated to remove chlorine and chloramines, deep enough for submerging.
- 5-10 gallons of free space per hermit crab you plan to adopt (15 gallons if you plan to adopt an extra large hermit crab).
- A normal cycle of 12/12hr day/night is maintained.
- Nutritional diet is fed.
- No commercial pellet
For more details on our guidelines read Setting up a proper crabitat and Newbies Guide to Hermit Crabs
We do require adopters to be at least 18 years old. Please use care and caution when arranging in person hand offs and make your own personal safety the top priority.
If you are on Facebook we have added a page for hermit crab adoptions (please like and share to help us reach more potential adopters).
You can also follow us on Instagram – Hermit Crab Adoptions on Instagram
- Adopter – All hermit crabs adopted will remain with me
- Foster – Hermit crabs fostered by me will be kept with me until a forever home is located
- Transport assistant – I am willing to drive to meet someone to pick up or deliver hermit crabs involved in an adoption or foster transaction.
LHCOS/CSJ Adoption Program Map
The map is set up with two layers. One layer shows adopters and another layer shows adoptees (hermit crabs needing new homes).
You can view the map and locate adoptees near you that you are interested in adopting. There will be a number associated with them. Email us with that number indicating you would like to be paired with this adoptee.
When the adoption has been completed please let us know so we can remove it from the map.
Comments are closed.